Vegetarian Spaghetti Carbonara

posted on: 9.19.2011

The first time I tried Carbonara was a few years ago when my friend Katie made it. It’s traditionally made with pancetta (Italian bacon), which she left out for my plate. It was delicious and light, and obviously memorable. So the first thing that came to mind when I was trying to think of how to get rid of this huge parsley bunch I had was Katie’s Carbonara.
P1030517
Only a few ingredients are needed for this version of carbonara: spaghetti, garlic, eggs, parsley, and shredded cheese (I think a number of different cheeses could work; I used mozzarella.)
I did a whole lot of eyeballing/approximating. While the pasta was cooking, I chopped up about a tablespoon of garlic and sautéed it in some oil. After straining/rinsing the pasta (~2-3 cups), I added it into the garlic pan. On the side, I beat 2 eggs with some almond milk (~1/4c). The milk was definitely not necessary, but a random thing I decided to add in. I’m not sure it affected the flavor much at all actually. Add the egg mixture into the pasta and whisk until it thickens. After plating, I added the cheese and heated it up in the microwave until the cheese melted. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with parsley!
P1030519Yum!

1 comments: